Açores 2020 OP (Azores Operational Programme 2020) is a programme funded by the community structural funds ERDF and ESF, for the programming period of 2014-2020, being executed in the Autonomous Region of Azores.
The Programme was elaborated by the Regional Government of Azores and summarises a wide number of consultations and contributions of a great variety of regional agents, expressing their main proposals in matters of regional policy of development for a near future, in the compliance of the main guidance lines of European Strategy 2020 and the national Partnership Agreement.
The strategic vision associated with this Operational Programme is based on the Azores’ ambition of being consolidated as a relevant European region, supported by 4 great strategic guidance lines:
– A Region that is open and innovative in the usage of endogenous material and immaterial resources, with a level of economic production that allows it to ascend to a higher level on the European regional context, in which the economy is based in a dynamic, integrated and diversified export economic foundation, overcoming the constraints of the limited internal market;
– A relevant territory in terms of flow of goods and people, in the context of the logistic and maritime transportation system between Europe and the American continent, complemented with a full usage of data transmission networks and infrastructures, minimizing the outermost condition and dispersion of the regional territory;
– An inclusive and balanced society, creating opportunities for the participation, lifelong learning, employment access and full accomplishment of children and young people, elder people and families;
– A landscape, an environment and a distinctive experience, supported by qualified urban spaces and by a differentiated and internationally renowned natural and cultural heritage, with effective responses in matters of biodiversity and ecosystems protection and adaptation to climate changes.
– Açores 2020 OP concentrates almost all the interventions co-funded by the structural funds in the archipelago and the range of selected thematic goals and investment priorities is wide and diversified, including the several components of public policies oriented towards intelligent economic growth, employment promotion, social inclusion and environmental sustainability, allowing local agents to access financial resources that will guarantee their development projects in the several intervention areas, economy sectors and in the society.
Lastly, the specific support of the Structural Fund ERDF from which the Region will benefit, due to its Outermost Region condition as recognized by article 349 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, must be highlighted. It will be applied in financing public passenger transportation service obligations between the islands of Azores.
Regional Directorate for Study and Planning of Azores
Management Authority for Azores Operational Programme 2020